One of the great tools of the wise mentor is to ask questions that rise out of wisdom granted by the Holy Spirit. The answers to these questions are never easy; sometimes they take months to consider. When the questions come, however, from the exercise of the spiritual gifts of discernment and knowledge, they can potentially change lives. So approach these questions seriously, and take your time to consider them prayerfully.
One of the ways we can look honestly at the nature of our hungers is to examine the people who attract us, sometimes strongly. In other words, who is it we admire? Whom do we look to as models?
- What types of people most attract you? Describe them.
- Is there one person in particular whom you deeply admire? If so, why?
- What kind of a person would you like to be in twenty years?
- Who do you know exemplifies what you have described?
- List a variety of people who are models for you. What are their strengths?
- Now consider whether any in your list are spiritual models. Are any of them hungry for God? How do you know?
- If you have no models, what does this say about you?
- Have you ever been disillusioned (or nearly destroyed) by people you admire?
Your Christian Blogger,